It was our anniversary this week so it was dinner and a movie time. I made these as a treat for the cinema. I also made the bag, description at the end of the post! The recipe was taken from here. I found it quite hard to follow but I got there in the end. Here is my version! I have converted it from US weights – if they look a bit random that’s why!
To make 12 – 14 in a muffin tin or 60 in a mini muffin tin (I didn’t have one of those)
- 2.5oz / 75g margarine
- 6.5oz / 190g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 5oz / 150g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (I didn’t have any, so I used cinnamon)
- 8 tbsp / 120ml milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
Coating – for this I just guessed and added more as I needed it so as not to waste any, here is the original amounts though:
- 6oz / 170g unsalted butter
- 8oz / 240g caster sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your fan oven to 180°c.
- In a bowl, cream the margarine and sugar together. Add in the egg and combine well.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg together.
- In a third bowl, mix the milk and vanilla.
- Alternately add the flour mix and milk mix to the egg mix to the creamed marg and sugar.
- Scoop batter into well greased muffin pans and only fill half to two thirds full.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned. Timing depends on the size of muffin tin you use, but mine, in my regular sized muffin tin, took 19mins.
- Allow to cool in the pans for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the pans. You may need to loosen with a knife.
- Dip the muffins in the melted butter and roll in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
Best served warm!
One mysteriously disappeared…
This is not my idea, but came from this wonderful webside! I did mine with two lots of paper – the outside layer was just cheap brown packing paper, the inside was baking parchment so the oil didn’t stain it. The ‘Owen’ was just me dooding on some scrap wrapping paper.